Re: The thorny job application process

In a message dated 11/14/01 9:16:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, kevin.logan@LAKELANDGOV.NET writes:

I believe that it is possible to craft a polite letter indicating that you
had applied for the position in question, had not heard anything as yet, and
are inquiring about the status of your application.

I agree with Kevin. For example I recently applied online to a job posting. I hadn't heard anything from the company except to hear about a new job posting (I had signed up for that notification) about one month after I applied. I decided to reply to the notification asking about my application. The result? BANG! within 24 hours I had  a reply stating that the position was put on hold. Hopefully my query has changed the process.

At one of my previous employers we received hundreds of applications everyday from all over the world. Some in response to adverts, some just thrown over the transom. But each application received a response. I should know as it was my word processing section that issued the responses. Each application received a typed letter signed by a real company recruiter. Eventually to hold down postage and stationery costs we started to send postcards in response to applications that we had no interest in.

I fully believe that all organizations, public or private should send an acknowledgement letter when the application has been received and when the decision has been made. Remember that the next time you are involved as a member of a search team.