Re: Thorny application process

In a message dated 11/14/01 6:29:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, jschnidr@USGS.GOV writes:

One issue I have not seen mentioned is the situation wherein the
advertising of an employment opportunity is basically window dressing,

oooooh! forgot about that one. those adverts are usually very easy to spot since the job requirements/experience listed tend to be very specific. I have seen several of those in the past few months and say "why bother, someone already has a lock on the position."

The second thing not mentioned here and a close behind Jill's gripe is the job posting that asks for the applicant to include their salary requirements with their application.

<getting up on soapbox>
This IMO is reprehensible. All of the job hunting books, columns, advisers, employment agencies etc all say don't provide this information. It's like going into a poker game and showing your opponents your cards. It's like going to a auto dealership and saying "I want to buy a car for x amount. Do you have any for that price? you betcha they do."

So why do they ask for it? Two possible reasons. One, they probably don't really know what the salary should be (generally when an  organization or firm is hiring an archivist/rm for the first time) and their HR department is totally clueless as to who to ask for the right information. The other is that they want someone who matches their (the hiring org) requirements at the cheapest possible price.

Years ago a counselor told me that if someone ask you what your salary is at your current position you should reply that you will be more than willing to discuss compensation with them IF they are offering the position to you. There is a difference -- salary is but one part of the overall compensation package. Compensation tends to include things like salary, benefits (health, dental, education) and other things.

Along the same lines is the position announcement that provides a salary range knowing full well that no one will be hired at the upper end of the range.
<climbing off of soapbox>

Thanks Jill I needed to get that off of my chest.

Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va
pakurilecz@aol.com