Re: Listserv Survey

In a message dated 11/10/01 2:33:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, eproffen@WAM.UMD.EDU writes:

We are archives students at the University of Maryland and are currently
working on a presentation about this listserv for our graduate-level
introductory archives course.  We hope that, as members of the list, you
can help us with our analysis.  We are wondering how helpful this listserv
is in enlightening you on professional archival issues and problems.

Just getting around to responding to this. Back last year Anita Weber and Mark Shelstad randomly selected some of the subscribers from this listserv to participate in a survey about the listserv.
http://listserv.muohio.edu/SCRIPTS/WA.EXE?A2=ind0005C&L=archives&P=R2380

The results were presented at SAA's 2001 annual conference in Washington DC
<snip>
The Archives & Archivists Listserv and Its Impact: Drivel, Informational Deluge, and Pearls Among Swine

Richard Pearce-Moses, Chair
Arizona State Library and Archives
Robert F. Schmidt
Miami University Archives
"Coordinating the Archives & Archivists List"
Mark Shelstad
University of Wyoming
"What Did We Just Say?: An Analysis of the List Posters and Postings"
Anita M. Weber
History Associates Incorporated
"Coffee Klatch, Archival Village, or Professional Resource: The Members Speak"
The Archives & Archivists Listserv has served the profession as an outlet for opinion and _expression_ of varying literacy and clarity. Two speakers will discuss their analysis of its content, members' opinions, the List's use in archival education, and the possibility of a List "culture." The List coordinator will provide observations after several years in the chair. A member of SAA Council's List Advisory Committee will discuss List management and the development of the List's terms of participation.
<snip>

I was one of the participants in the survey. I don't mind taking surveys as I think they can prove very useful. The above survey was very extensive (almost 9 pages in length -- I still have a copy of my response) and took time to complete. The only problem is that the results were not reported back IIRC to the listserv itself.

I will always gladly participate in any study, survey or whatever concerning this listserv I only ask that the results be made available to the list itself by posting the results to the list or by posting on some website. Why? Because many of us many not have access to the journal, class or whatever in which the information is published. Please feel free to contact me offline at the address below.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com
Richmond, Va