Re: student survey

At 09:47 AM 11/27/2001 -0500, Nancy Davis Bray wrote:
A colleague of mine has asked for assistance with a survey (which is being
conducted by several of her graduate students).  While the survey has
nothing to do with archives, it DOES ask pertinent questions about
personal/professional use of copyrighted software. It certainly made me
stop and think about what we tell our users about copyright and how we may
or may not choose to ignore professional ethics.

The survey does make you stop and think about copyright - and in particular
how certain actions that a generation ago were considered acceptable and
which may even be legal have been defined now to be "piracy" by some
monopolists.  The researcher would do well to read Jessica Litman's
insightful essay "The Demonization of Piracy" at
<http://www.law.wayne.edu/litman/papers/demon.pdf>.  Archivists would do
well to avoid completing surveys that have an implicit biased point of view.

Peter B. Hirtle
pbh6@cornell.edu