Re: Advisory committee

The role of the committee must be clearly defined before it is established.  And if you are working directly with the committee, your role in relation to the committee also must be clear.  Are they truly advising or are they another level of supervision?

I've had some experience with such committees, and most of it was excellent.  When I had to deal with my very first committee, the role wasn't well defined to me or to the committee.  It existed when I took the position working for a county government.  I first looked at the members as a source of telling me what I should do - almost another boss.  When I had my first issue that I thought I would have major differences with the committee on, I spent a lot of time trying to make my case.  Then I remembered that 1) the county was paying me for my background and expertise and 2) the committee was 'advisory.'  Yes, I wanted feedback from my committee on the approach I planned to use, but the decision was ultimately mine because that's what I got paid to do.

When I changed jobs and had to set up an advisory committee, I knew from the start that the committee members had to understand that their role was advisory in nature.   Members were there to give me support, review issues, and, well, to give advice.  I was able to convey this diplomatically but clearly enough for them to understand and we worked very well together.  We were able to disagree and at times their advice did make me change my mind on things, but the ultimate decision was up to me - and they knew that.

I think members have to understand that their input is important, but you shouldn't feel obligated to accept everything they advise.  You don't need any more bosses than you probably already have.

Ray LaFever, NYS Archives

>>> Ellen Zazzarino <ezazzar@DENVER.LIB.CO.US> 12/04/01 12:44PM >>>
We are in the process of writing several grant applications for processing manuscript collections and loading the finding aids (in the EAD format) on our web site.  To strengthen our application we are selecting an advisory committee.  I would like to receive input from archivists who worked with advisory committees. It would be helpful to know what made the committee successful, what didn't work and the type of information that proved valuable or insightful for the grant application.

I would be most grateful for any assistance anyone can provide. Feel
free to reply on or off-list.

Thanks,  Ellen Zazzarino

Archivist/Librarian
Western History/Genealogy Dept.