Certification/qualifications again?

Yes, the certification issue in some manifestation rears its head yet
again. The periodic outpouring of passion on this list illustrates the
somewhat devisive nature of the issue.

I am curious for those of you CRMs out there - was CRM as devisive as
CA seems to be? Peter K indicates it took time for CRM to be recognized
by employers. How long was that? CA has been around for over ten years
now and appears to me to be required or preferred in only a handful of
archival jobs.

I suggest that if the CAs are better able to make their case to their colleagues
it would become more supported within the profession and thereby recognized
by employers much more quickly.

Personally, I remain unconvinced of its utility and I find the implied tactic of
educating employers of its value something of an end run around garnering
greater support within the profession. There are many of us who love this
profession and have chosen to make careers of it and who are still dubious
about certification. We are your sisters and brothers in the trenches,
convince us and the way will be much easier.

I don't recall attending sessions at professional conferences where the merits
of certification have been debated. Even if they have in the past, perhaps it is
time to reinvigorate the debate on a higher level than the list - at conferences
and in print. Than again perhaps not . . . (ho, ho, ho)

Craig Wright
Manuscript Acquisitions
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd. West