"Dirty" Manuscript Material

We just received a box of records of the League of Catholic Women (time span during the depression).  I feel the material is important to keep, but the condition of the papers is lousy at best. The box was found in the attic of a house and the materials had water damage and are very dirty.

As a lone arranger, I do not have the staff to "clean" the materials, if they can even BE cleaned.  But I do feel the collection is important historically and should be saved.  We do not have microfilm access, but do have a scanner and a copy machine.  I do have volunteers that could photocopy, and could possibly scan the materials (although I'm not sure I have the disk space, and don't have CD writing capabilities).  I do know that it is possible to photograph with black and white film and process as microfilm, but have never tried this myself.

What is the recommendation on papers such as these?  Are any of the above options, and if so, I am hesitant to throw the originals out, although I am also hesitant to spend the time and money to process the collection as is with acid-free, etc.  Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance!

Leslie S. Edwards
Administrative Director
Oakland County Pioneer & Historical Society
405 Oakland Ave.
Pontiac, MI  48342
http://wwnet.net/~ocphs/index.html