FW: Caring for Books

----------
From: WMNTR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:29:11 EST
To: vmah@keyconn.net
Subject: Re: FW: Caring for Books

In a message dated 1/10/02 12:58:18 PM, vmah@keyconn.net writes:

<< While I appreciate the too-frequent necessity of economizing, the use of
paper bags/kraft paper/newsprint is short-sighted from a preservation view.

Obviously, kraft paper is not ideal as a dust jacket for a book. However, it
will not last very long, and it is probably not being used (should not be
used) for rare/special books. On the other hand, the kraft paper may prevent
some other, more extensive wear or damage, i.e. when used on a school
textbook. While it is admirable to have high standards for everything that
we
encounter, we must be reasonable and not expect that everyone has the
resources (money and information) to treat a book as we would. We can only
try to inform them of the hazards.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695