Access to unprocessed material

Hi,
Recently we have had considerable trouble with the issue of allowing access to unprocessed material.
Due to budget constraints over the last few years, the amount of unprocessed material at my archives has grown quite considerably. While we are aware of the dangers of allowing access to such material, we are loathe to simply close it all, as the chances of getting to process it in the near future are small. I was wondering if any of you have some ideas on the matter. Under what conditions, and to whom, could we consider allowing access?
Thanks!
Rochelle Rubinstein
Central Zionist Archives
Jerusalem