Re: Health records

Well...

There are state, local, and federal statutes about retention of medical
records.  They MUST be kept confidential, and I don't believe they can be
shown to anyone without a legal reason to do so, i.e. a school official in
the course of official business.

Retention here at NS-LIJ is six years from discharge for an adult, 21 years
for babies born here (age of majority + 3 years).  Before you do anything
with them I'd advise getting a competent legal opinion.  Depending on the
age of the student, you may be required to keep them until they reach 18; if
you are a university, you may not need to keep them that long.

Finally, if you do decide to dump them, they should be shredded to preserve
confidentiality.

DS (My understanding of this, not a legal opinion.)

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021