Re: Electronic Archive

Another software option is a records management package. We installed Tower
Software's Trim at NHC back in August, and have been very happy with it. The
software will copy electronic files from the original media and store them
(in the same format) on the server/workstation where it's running. It comes
with a built-in viewer which displays the files with all of their
formatting, graphics, etc. intact and will play multimedia files, but you
can also set it to launch the original application when a file is selected
for viewing.  And since it's designed for records management it allows for
easy capture of metadata, both automatically through system capture and
manually by filling in database fields.  Of course, this doesn't eliminate
the long-term migration concerns, but in the near-term it makes access much
easier, reduces handling of the original media, and facilitates collecting
the metadata necessary for future migration and access.

Wade Wyckoff

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wade D. Wyckoff
Archivist