Re: Annual Budget

Title: RE: Annual Budget

-----Original Message-----
From: Beth Harris [mailto:bharris@hollins.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 12:07 PM
To: Nancy Iannucci
Subject: Re: Annual Budget

Nancy:

I remember the good 'ole days when I had $1,000 to spend which wasn't too
bad for a small archives & rare book collection.  It allowed me to buy
basics plus a few extras for items that needed to be rehoused in special
size boxes, replaced tattered  book tags, etc.

It's been chopped every year and now I buy just the basics (acid-free file
folders, paper, & cartons plus general offices supplies such as a wall
calendar and a refill for my planner.)  Sometimes I'll buy something
"extra" one year and do without something else that year, just so I can get
a particular project done.

I suggest you at least try to estimate what basics you'll need and then
make a list of additional stuff you'd like to have, in case you get more.
Always estimate high because you'll probably get less than you ask for
anyway.  You may also want to let your budget /supply order person know you
still have plenty of needs within 2-3 months before the end of the fiscal
year in case there are any leftovers.  Sometimes I've been able to acquire
another pack of paper or a few boxes that way.

Another suggestion:  Do you have a surplus of supplies for stuff that you
don't think you'll ever use up (and wonder why the last person bought it?).
 You might be able to swap supplies with another nearby archives.  I did
that and we both benefitted.

If you get a large collection in that will use up a lot of supplies, you
may have to let it go until the next fiscal year.  Then use the collection
to justify why you need as much as you do.

I'm not sure if this is helpful but every archives is different and every
year is different--it's hard to know.
Good luck!
Beth S. Harris
Special Collections Management Librarian
Wyndham Robertson Library
P. O. Box 9000 / 7950 E. Campus Drive
Hollins University
Roanoke, VA  24020-1000