Re: Slightly OT: Nicholson Baker

Since I have a hometown connection to Nicholson Baker--we grew
up in the same neighborhood, graduated from the same high
school, and our mothers are acquainted--and I've been a fan ever
since his first novel, I feel the need to offer a mild defense.

If you read "Double Fold," you'll find that Baker's argument is
not that microfilm is inherently evil, though he heaps scorn
upon it for being badly done.  (This is not news to anyone who
has to use it regularly.)  For Baker, the evil is that
microfilming served as a pretext for trashing all known original
print runs of several significant US newspapers.  (Personally, I
find this a compelling argument.)

Here in Buffalo, a rare book curator I know mourns the loss of
all original volumes of the "Buffalo Express" from the years
that Mark Twain was editor and co-owner (1869-1871).  They were
filmed and discarded during the microfilm boom years of the
1960s, before his tenure.  Twain scholars now have only
microfilm (inferior, I might add) to consult.

Lest anyone thinks that my mild criticism of microfilm
constitutes a rejection of it, see my pro-film article at:

http://www.ancestry.com/library/view/news/articles/2655.asp

--- "Pope, Barbara" <bpope@STLCOP.EDU> wrote:
> You mean Nicholson Baker, king of all paper documents and
> seems to think
> that microfilm is a sin, is actually consulting with anyone
> about a
> microfilm project?
>

> Barbara M. Pope, MLS
> Reference Librarian
> St. Louis College of Pharmacy
> 4588 Parkview Place
> St. Louis MO 63110
> (314) 367-8700 x. 1001
> FAX (314) 454-3382

=====
"My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
So much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who, age after age, perversely, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  -Adrienne Rich
   Cynthia Van Ness, bettybarcode@yahoo.com
   http://cynthia.is-online.net