Re: In need of advice

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:06:46 -0800, Natale Han Majkut <nmajkut@UCLA.EDU>
wrote:

>Could others with similar collections please share how you have arranged
>your collection?  At what level have you described the collection?  Have
you
>created copy prints for researchers to use?  If you have multiple
iterations
>of similar images have you kept them all?

Here are some suggestion
1. Have contact prints made of the negatives (35mm can be arranged on a
single sheet, 4x5 contact prints are great)

2. The contact prints especially the 4x5 can be mounted on an index card. At
a former institution I created a 6x5 index card upon which was mounted the
contact print we then indexed the photo at a high level eg Streets - Elm,
provided some descriptive information date, location, event, names whatever
These were then laminated (gasp!) and filed in an cabinet accessible to the
public. we sold prints created from the negatives to the public. Information
was gleaned from the information maintained by the photographer such as
their original index cards filed in negative number order, and clippings
stored with the negatives when the photo appeared in the paper.

3. We kept all iterations of the images eg they might take ten shots of the
same scene the negative numbering scheme was the following

x = main number
y = iteration

xxxx.y

As to description of the collection it was at a very high level primarily a
history of the photographer. All negatives were maintained in the same order
that the photographer created for them. News clippings were photocopied onto
acid-free paper and filed in negative number order, information contained
on the clipping was included on the photo-index card

You should try to obtain a grant that will allow you to make the contact
prints

Peter Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com