Re: touching up digital images

Mr. Beaven,

Your question is most interesting, and raises many issues.

The current preservation standard is to microfilm, not scan. So, if we are discussing presentation of an image for access, the possibilities are many and the mitigating factors are mind boggling.

If you can scan the image in a bi-tonal format and capture the informational value, then file size is not an issue.

If the contrast is minimal, then you need color, possibly millions of them (file size increases exponentially).

We have scanned documents where the text is not visible to the eye, and recovered the information by using enhancement features.

The value to a researcher is high, but is the item valuable to a large enough portion of your audience to justify the high cost in time to recover the image? Do you have the bandwidth and/or software to deliver the image to your clients in an amount of time that will not cost you their good will? Or is the item of such value that people are willing to wait for a large download?

In response to whether we are trying to display the document as it was when it was created, or as it is today, in digitizing, we are doing neither to from an analog original.

What we need to know in order to make the decision of whether to scan or not is:

 ...the value of the item(s) in regard to information, artifact, and evidence.

...the added value of the item as a commodity for publicity, marketing and customer service.

...whether we have the ability to create and deliver (adequately) an enhanced image with our current hardware and software limitations.

...are we willing to commit people and assets to develop the ability to retain and deliver this product.

... and many more ....

If the final decision is to make an image available, then we should definitely present the image with the metadata defining the creation of the file. This is beneficial to others undertaking the same type of projects, and it is pro-active for the eventuality of this image becoming a legal document.

And then there is the decision about presentation. For example, should an untouched image of the document be presented beside of the enhancement altered version (for comparison)?

I'm pretty sure that's not the half of it.....

Cathy Brown, CA
Information Management Archivist
North Carolina State Archives
Raleigh, NC 27601