Re: Online catalogs

Sylvia,
An online catalog has lead to many administrative as well as archival
challenges at some institutions.  These challenges include the following.
First, unless there is tight central control of the catalog and its update
process, colleges and departments will make continuous changes to the catalog
and there will be no "final" catalog to capture for the academic period
involved.  Second, unless there is tight central control, departments and
colleges will begin to set up there own on-line catalog that they can change
at will.  Finally, there is the issue of how to archive the final catalog
(assuming you have solved one and two above).  Unless you are ready to face
all of the issues raised on the list over the years (e.g., storage format,
media, software and hardware, migration, refreshment, etc), your best bet
would be to print it out or request (demand) a COM master copy from the
administration.  Just my thoughts from observing others try to deal with this
issue.  Dick King, University of Arizona