information from the Philippines

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Chris Knott and I work on the Esperanza project. The team is
largely based in Jakarta, Indonesia with other members involved in marine,
finance, legal and marketing areas. I am not sure what you know of the
project, however if you would like to visit our website, www.esperanza-
project.com, you will see that the project is the search for and
anticipated recovery of a vessel called the Esperanza. This was wrecked on
Panagatan Cays off Mindoro in the Philippines in 1806.

I was searching the internet for information on archival resources and came
across the Archives and Archivists listing. I hope that you do not mind me
posting this information on your list.

Through our site work to date, we have found what appears to be a composite
built ship, with wooden hull but iron frames. The ship appears to have a
boiler and also has anchors with a mixture of openlink and studlink chain.
We have found a boiler door that has writing on it, giving us the name

JM Galbraith
HONNDER, QUEBEC

We are not sure whether the "H" is correct. It could be St Onnder or
Bonnder or Ronnder. The wording "JM Galbraith" is very clear however and we
are of the opinion that this would be the name of the boiler manufacturer.
It therefore appears likely that this vessel was either of Canadian origin,
or built in Canada (in part or in whole). We would therefore like to try to
trace "JM Galbraith" in the hope of identifying the boiler works and
eventually the vessel itself.

We are not sure whether anybody on the listing can help, or whether you
would be able to advise us where to obtain such information, either through
another institution or through researchers or archivists. Should you be
interested or able to assist, we would very much like to here from you via
return email.

Lastly, I would like to address the issue of the archaeological nature of
our project. The Esperanza project has to date and always will be conducted
under the supervision of the National Museum of the Philippines (NMP).
Through the archaeological foundation in the Philippines, we hold a valid
permit from the National Museum and personnel from the NMP are present
during field work that we undertake. Any excavation or recovery work is
conducted under archaeological guidelines laid down by the NMP. Given the
recent UNESCO treaty on preserving our marine cultural heritage, I believe
it is worth highlighting this point.

We look forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance for any help you
may be able to offer.

Best Regards,
Chris Knott