Re: aerial photos

DISCLAIMER FIRST:  This is not an appraisal of any kind.

Things to consider could be:

 - How many negatives are involved (you didn't say)
 - What do you mean by "large format" - standard vertical aerials
today(the negatives) are about 9 x 9 inches.
 - What would be the current cost of obtaining these aerial photos from
standard sources today?  For example, vertical aerial photographs available
from the USGS EROS Data Center in South Dakota cost $10 for a black and
white
9 x 9 inch paper print.

I imagine answers to these questions would help you get a feel for what
they might be worth, without using the services of an appraiser.

Carol

Carol A. Edwards
USGS Field Records Library
MS 914, Box 25046, Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225-0046
email: cedwards@usgs.gov
phone: 303-236-1005
fax: 303-236-0015

                    Carolyn McClurkan
                    <carolynm@MAIL.TSCNE        To:
                    T.COM>                      ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &         cc:
                    Archivists                  Subject:     aerial photos
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    02/28/2002 09:34 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Carolyn McClurkan

>Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:32:24 -0800
>To: archivess@listserv.muohio.edu
>From: Carolyn McClurkan <carolynm@mail.tscnet.com>
>Subject: aerial photos
>
>Hello, listservers,
>
>A local photo collection is apparently coming on the block soon.  These
are carefully catalogued, large format negatives of aerial photos, dating
from the 30's through the 80's, covering all of our county.  Apparently the
earliest ones were taken from a camera flown on a kite(!), then from a
small plane.

>The couple who purchased them from the photographer's estate is asking
$200,000.00, or $100,000.00 from a non-profit, taking a $100,000.00
donation.