From: Steven A Brown [mailto:sabrown@ARCHES.UGA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 8:12 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Citation re. "Post-it" damage

> My personal pet peeve... is paper clips

Just ask yourself:

What task gives you more rapid and immediate gratification than removing
those rusting clips?

What more permanent career footprint do you leave behind than those
red-brown swirls on the paper beneath your gaily colored plastic clip?

What more tangible evidence of your worth do you have to show to your
administrators than the pile of rusting steel clips awaiting recycling in
the scrap box of your office?

And finally, don't you get any pleasure pretending you're wringing the neck
of the irritating Microsoft pop-up paperclip assistant when you twist one up
and off your document?

"Thankful for the blessing lent
of simple tastes and mind content"

Steven

Steven Brown
Head, University Archives & Records Management
Hargrett Library
Main Library
University of Georgia
Athens, Georgia  30602
sabrown@arches.uga.edu

Archives:  http://www.libs.uga.edu/hargrett/archives/index.html
Records:  http://www.libs.uga.edu/recman/www.html

"I am sorry to hear of the removal of Prof. M.  I wish him well for what he
has been, - and for his present merits - but as his principles are
contagious, it will be best for him I think to go where they can do no harm
as in Georgia he will find Jacobins formed to his hand - and who are past
being polluted."

 -  Jedidiah Morse on the departure of Joisah Meigs to assume the presidency
of the University of Georgia, 1801.