Re: vinyl in a time capsule?

I would imagine this banner would become brittle over time, and possibly
discolored...going perhaps from white to a yellowish-tan color. We have all
seen vinyl items age. I wonder, too, if the item will adhere to itself. I
used to work in the polymer industry, and additives 'bloom', or emerge, to
the surface of many plastic items, over time. Temperature, exposure to the
elements, etc., all are factors here. It might be advantageous to roll the
banner, and I cannot suggest something to keep it from touching
itself...perhaps an acid-free paper or something (I leave that one to the
experts). There are various recipes that constitute vinyl, and banners are
made to be somewhat pliant, are they not? So additives for that type of
application will vary from, say that of, a more rigid item. Stabilizers,
plasticizers, pigments, etc., go into these things, and I would imagine the
banner company did not make the banner with the intention of its becoming a
time capsule content, but more from a standpoint that it would be disposed
of when it served its purpose.  We Americans build many things for
short-term use.  Also, I would suspect that the inks/colorants/dyes used in
the lettering will, if touching say the white background, will bleed,
thereby discoloring the white background. It might be wise to insure that
the banner does not touch other items in the capsule, as I am sure there
will be some bleeding and bloom.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library