Re: Chatter R Us

Jeff O'Brien's analogy works for me!  The Archives List subscribers are quite diverse.  Some work in small, private sector archives, others in large government institutions, still others in mid-size academic archives, etc.  With such a large community, it's impossible for each concern and question to be equally relevant to all members of the List.  As for humor, well, we all have different moods and tolerances, I see no point in making people conform to any particular standard, as long as things stay within reasonable boundaries.  I just read the postings that relate to my areas of interest or concern, as I suspect most readers do.  But I see no reason to begrudge others their right to post.  Even if I don't read everything, it's good to see the varied subject lines and to be reminded of the scope of issues, large and small, that archivists face.  It helps keep me from becoming too insular, especially since I work as a government Historian in a one-person history office!
Maarja Krusten
Maarja@aol.com