Re: Photographic Duplicate Collections

> Periodically we make photographic duplicates of photograph collections
> "future" donors are not yet ready to part with.  While they have no problem
> with us using them as reference and making copies for researchers, do I still
> need to have them sign a deed of gift even though they retain the original.

I would recommend that you do so (1) to clarify the ownership status of
the reproductions (2) to be absolutely sure the donor understands the ways
in which the reproductions will and won't be used (3) to clarify what
happens to the reproductions in the event the donor decides they don't
want to part with the originals after all.

Carole Prietto, University Archivist     phone:  (314) 935-9730
Washington University in St. Louis       fax:  (314) 935-8320
Box 1061, One Brookings Drive            prietto@library.wustl.edu
St. Louis, Missouri 63130