Re: oral history question

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Daniel Sokolow wrote:

> I've had a request for a copy of an oral history interview.  The subject
> asked that he be notified before anyone is given a copy of the interview.

Asked on the consent form, or verbally?

> Am I clear to make this interview available (the request is from another
> repository), since his condition only mentioned that he needed to be
> contacted, or must I approach any heirs?

What does it say on the consent form?  The promise if verbal was only to
the subject, not to keep tracking down his relatives for the rest of the
century. Anyway, even if you DID contact a relative in regard to this
copy, once that item is out of your shop, you have no control over it
anyway.  A researcher could find it so exciting that they copy it and give
it to their 15 best friends...

I try to stress to people that they're not telling their story to ME,
they're telling their story to the world, as there's no way of preventing
anyone who uses the collection from reading it.  The objective is to make
these items accessible and to get them used, not for the person to
inform me personally.

My sympathies!

Carole

Carole E. Nowicke, Ph.D., M.L.S., C.P.P.
Reference Librarian
Indiana Prevention Resource Center  <http://www.drugs.indiana.edu>
cnowicke@indiana.edu  <http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~cnowicke>
Historian, International Tuba-Euphonium Association
List Owner Dressage-L <Dressage-L@Listserv.Indiana.edu>