From:   Robert Nawrocki [mailto:RNawrocki@LVA.LIB.VA.US]
Sent:   Wednesday, March 27, 2002 8:51 AM
To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject:        Appraising Web Pages

I am the Electronic Records Coordinator for the State of Virginia and have a
question about appraising web sites. I am preparing a general records and
disposition schedule covering electronic records and would like to provide
advice for identifying web pages that have historical value. I've spoken
with the archivists at the Library of Virginia and would also like to get an
idea of practices elsewhere.

At the end of 2001 the Library accepted into the archives a copy of the web
sites of the Governor and the Cabinet Secretaries. At this point we plan on
collecting the same web sites during the last quarter of the current
Governor's term.

Is there historic value in preserving a "snapshot" of the various state
agencies at the time of the Governor's transition? What about web sites
maintained by local governments? In Virginia these web sites range from a
few privately created pages to pages numbering in the tens of thousands.
Some of these sites include web only newsletters and other unique material.

Does anyone have any suggestions or models they can recommend? I am familiar
with the Smithsonian report by Charles Dollar, the Tim Sprehe reports and
the material put out by the National Archives of Australia.

I will be happy to post a summary to list if desired.

Thanks.
Bob

Robert F. Nawrocki CRM
Electronic Records Coordinator
Records Management and Imaging Services Division
The Library of Virginia
804.692.3505
rnawrocki@lva.lib.va.us
Innovate and Infuriate