Re: fees for services

I am going to take the liberty of sharing this with the full list, since I
had surveyed a number of communities on this topic some time ago.  These
numbers are a bit dated (fall,1999) but they may prove helpful since I know
that some have not changed. Most of these are for city or county offices,
not a university however, and all are for standard size pages (letter or
legal). I would note that in the case of local or county governments, fees
are often set by Resolution or Ordinance.  As a result, fees can be quite
"old" or unrealistic by the time anyone gets around to reviewing them.  In
addition, most governments are not allowed to make a profit on this service,
but they can include in their cost estimate such factors as labor (hourly
rate + benefits) and overhead.  NH Courts may show some latitude in an
overestimate of actual cost, but that "overestimate" better be awfully close
to the real cost.  A few institutions make a distinction between
self-service rates and staff-supported copy rates.  In some cases, high copy
charges are probably due to labor costs involved for pulling and re-filing a
record.

Copy fees:
Cape May, NJ County Clerk: $3.00 per page, add $.25 per page for fax copy
City of Nashua, NH:  $.75 for the first page, $.10 per page thereafter
Missoula, MT Clerk & Recorder: $.50 first page, $.25 per page thereafter
Keene, NH Clerk: $.50 first page, $.25 per page thereafter
NY State Archives staff-operated: $.25 per copy
NY State Archives self-service: $.15 per copy
Shreveport, LA Records Dept.: $.15 per page
City of Oviedo, FL: $.15 one-sided, $.20 two-sided
Topeka, KS: $.25 per page
Wethersfieeld, CT: not to exceed $.50 per page
Clackamas County, OR: (copy of recorded record: $3.75 search fee plus $.25
per page
Cheyenne, WY: $.20 per copy
Burleson, TX: $.10 per copy
Visalia, CA: $.15 per page
Brea, CA: $.25 per page
Queen Creek, AZ: $.10 per page
Little Rock, AR: $.50 first copy, $.25 per copy thereafter
Groton, CT: $.25 each
Thousand Oaks, CA: first 3 pages are $.50 each, $.15 each additional page
Tarpon Springs, FL: $.15 per one-sided copy; add $.05 per page for two-sided
Seward, AK:  $.30 per page
Las Vegas, NV: $1.00 per page
Utah State Archives: $.10 per page made by patron; $.25 per page if made by
staff (limit 25 pages per request)

Research or Personnel charges:
In addition to the following, I had made a number of phone calls to archives
and/or museums inquiring about hourly rates for research.  $25/hour seemed
quite common, but that too may have increased.
Nashua, NH: $25/hour
Manchester, NH: No charge for first half hour, then: $15/hour for residents,
$25/hour for nonresidents.
Burleson, TX: $12/hour
Visalia, CA: (document retrieval fee) $20 - $35/hour
Thousand Oaks, CA: $55/hour plus copying fees

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street
Nashua, NH 03060