Blueprints/maps

In the light of September 11th, the Florida legislature has passed
HB735 which limits public access to "building plans, blueprints,
schematic drawings, and diagrams, including drafts, preliminary and
final formats, which depict the internal layout and structural
elements of a building, arena, stadium, water treatment facility, or
other structure owned or operated by an agency before, or after the
effective date of this act."

Agency is defined as any state, county, district, authority, municipal
officer, department, division, board, bureau, commission, or other
separate unit of government.

I am still wrestling with the impact of this.   Immediately it would seem
that my files of building plans, blueprints, etc. that are part of the
University archives are now closed to the public.   It would seem that
I now have to go through some private collections of blueprints acquired
by architects to identify structures that are occupied or owned by a
state agency.   It would seem--perhaps by a stretch?--that this would
also apply to the many drawings available of historic structures--that
are owned by the state.    I can argue, I think, that the act applies to
public records--e.g. produced by state government--which might not
apply to private papers or federal records.

Has anyone else been impacted in their state by such legislation?

Dean
Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338