Re: Cataloging Periodicals in Archives

I believe if you have holdings of a periodical in Archives, that this
should be reflected in the card catalog.   In the cases cited, where
you have a library periodical and also in archives, but the catalog
only lists the library circulating copy -- you run the risk that these
titles can be weeded or discarded.   For example, we have a run of
the United Daughters of the Confederacy magazine in Archives simply
because we have the records of the local chapter (102 years of them)...
if we did not have this title in the card catalog, then serials staff would
have discarded some duplicates that they received which we could
use, thinking the library doesn't need them.     We have also had situations
where mail got switched and different departments end up with a title...
the card catalog allows us at least to know who is getting what.

We have cataloged titles in the card catalog where the location can
be the call number in use in the Rare Book Room/Special Collections,
or simply to the collection or accession number with location being
Special Collections.   You can do the same.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338