Re: vertical files to compact shelving

Deborah - Having reread your post, my first question is:  Do you already
have the mobile shelving units, or will this be a new installation?  If you
already have the units in place with shelving on them, then the least
expensive thing will be to place the files in whatever size box you decide
on, and catalog their locations in your index.  But then, every time you
want a file, you've got to move a whole box.....

However, if this will be a new installation, and you have some $$ to spend,
I'd say go with the hanging file option.  I have done this twice now (in
two different areas of my archive) and absolutely LOVE the new setups.  I
went with the hanging files and more than doubled my storage spaces -
YEAH!.

I'm assuming the "lateral file" option will be units with drawers that
open/shut.  They will take up a bit more space horizontally than the
hanging files, and they may not be very easily accessed if they are in the
upper reaches of a "stack".  They will also be a more expensive initial
investment than the hanging file "stacks".  Will you be able to use your
files "as is" in the lateral files, or will you have to buy new ones that
fit the lateral drawers?

As for the hanging file folders:  access is easy, and the files are readily
identified by the vertical labels on the file sleeve.  But they ARE an
investment:  In 1998, I bought 13,250 files @ $21.4K (GSA discount  ;-> )
which worked out to ~$1.62/file.  It was a big chunk of change, but a whole
lot cheaper than moving!! :)

Either way, it's a whole bunch cheaper than moving!!!!

Hope this helps - ttfn - Jill.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://alaskaminerals.wr.usgs.gov

                    Deborah Wythe
                    <deborahwythe@HOTMAI        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    L.COM>                      cc:
                    Sent by: Archives &         Subject:     vertical files to compact shelving
                    Archivists
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    04/10/2002 07:51 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Deborah Wythe

Hello!

As part of our library renovation, we're going to be moving the contents of
about 50  4-drawer vertical filing cabinets into compact shelving. They
contain the library's artist and institutional files--clippings, brochures,
etc., all filed in ordinary file folders. It is a very heavily used
collection, both for research and with volunteers filing new additions.

We expect that the vendors will have some solutions to offer (lateral files
on the compact shelving carriages, hanging folders, etc.), but would
appreciate input on what worked (or didn't) for others. For a lot of
reasons, just putting the folders on shelves won't work--at the very least
they'd all have to be refoldered into accordion folders. Has anyone boxed
VF materials in open-top boxes to place on shelving? How much bulk did this
add to the collection? Did it help or hinder access?

Has anyone experienced such a move? Would you be willing to share your
experiences?

Thanks!
Deborah

Deborah Wythe
Brooklyn Museum of Art Archives
200 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11238
tel: 718 638 5000 x311
fax: 718 638 3731
email: deborahwythe@hotmail.com

A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List! To subscribe or
unsubscribe, send e-mail to listserv@listserv.muohio.edu In body of
message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES To post a
message, send e-mail to archives@listserv.muohio.edu Or to do *anything*
(and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at
http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html Problems? Send e-mail to
Robert F Schmidt