Re: consulting fees

Hi all,

I'm the one who asked about consulting fees about 3 weeks ago, but my job and
email changed before I could get most of the responses. I was actually surprised
about the variety of fees that folks charge; the lowest I found was 25/hour, and
the highest was about 75/hour. The sense I got was that it depended on the job;
if you're processing a small collection for a family or private group (church,
small business, etc), 25-30 seems like a good range. Public organizations that
have large projects are probably worth more per hour to the consultant (30-50,
so it appears), but state agencies might have severe restrictions on what they
can afford, so I would expect the consultant would have to treat that on a
case-by-case basis (my recent job for a state college's alumni exhibit agreed to
40/hour). Experience doing consulting work counts, too, and some who had
longtime experience doing a wide range of jobs were comfortable with more than
50/hour. Someone else told me that a fair rate was 2-3 times what you would make
hourly if you were employed full-time by whomever hired you as a consultant.

Hope this gets things started for those interested.

Cheers,

Jason T. Larson
Hospital Archivist
Children's Hospital Boston

Diane Martz wrote:

> Hello, again, all.  I know that in the past consulting fees have been
> discussed but it seems as though the listserv archives only got a few of the
> again?  I find myself in a position to consult and would like to go to my
> consultee, as it were, with a fair and reasonable dollar figure.  As always,
> thanks in advance.
>
> Diane Martz
> Heinz Family Archivist
> 3200 Dominion Tower
> 625 Liberty Avenue
> Pittsburgh, PA  15222
>
> ---
> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by NetTec Services]

Jason T. Larson
Hospital Archivist
Children's Hospital
Main SB 0004.1