Re: Sticky photos

I would be interested in seeing comments on this subject.  I have used the
"dusting the sticky stuff with a power" solution myself (didn't know anyone
else was doing likewise).  I recognize that it is not a recommended
conservation solution, but seems the lesser of two evils when, working in a
one-person operation, I don't have the skills or supplies to do in-house
treatment and don't have a budget for professional conservation.  I use
talcum powder which I take to be inert and non-protein based so it won't
attract pests.  I sprinkle a generous amount on the adhesive to make sure it
is thoroughly dusted, and then shake and wipe the piece to make sure all the
excess talc is removed.  To date, I have not seen any adverse effects of
this activity, though I don't know if long term (several years later) I may
be doing damage.  Any thoughts from conservators or chemists?

Catherine Bruck
University Archivist
Illinois Institute of Technology
Paul V. Galvin Library