From: "Automatic digest processor" <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
To: "Recipients of ARCHIVES digests" <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 11:00 PM
Subject: ARCHIVES Digest - 22 Apr 2002 to 23 Apr 2002 (#2002-114)

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Ideas sought for 1st floor of academic library
>   2. Digitization costs per image (2)
>   3. 2003 VISUAL RESOURCES ASSOCIATION ANNUAL CONFERENCE: CALL FOR
>      PARTICIPATION
>   4. monetary appraisal (3)
>   5. Walter Reed Website
>   6. integrity of oral history
>   7. monetary appraisal, clarification
>   8. free to a good home
>   9. Current dpi standard for scanning photographs (4)
>  10. New Format
>  11. Current dpi standard for scanning photographs- oops
>  12. integrity of oral history (long)
>  13. Position Announcement-United Fed. of Teachers
>  14. Code of Practice

> Date:    Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:41:29 -0400
> From:    "Peter D. Verheyen" <pdverhey@LIBRARY.SYR.EDU>
> Subject: Ideas sought for 1st floor of academic library
>
> Wanted! Innovative suggestions for a library's first floor! We have a
> 30-year-old building and intend to change presentation of services beyond
the
> standard wall-mounted or free-standing directory format. We cannot change
the
> exterior walls and push out architectually but want to have a "presence"
on
> the first floor pointing to departments located on upper floors, such as
the
> GIS Lab and Special Collections. Exhibits, while useful, don't do it.
>
> Your experiences, and all ideas, even untried, are welcome.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Carolyn Davis
> <cadavis@library.syr.edu>
> First Floor Assessment Action Team
> (yes, we've noticed we're FFAAT)
> Syracuse University Library
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:28:57 -0400
> From:    McKinley Lonna L Civ USAFM/MUA <LONNA.MCKINLEY@WPAFB.AF.MIL>
> Subject: Digitization costs per image
>
> We are starting a digitization project using outside contractors.  In a
nutshell the project entails scanning of photographic prints predominantly
black and white, but also some color, sizes varying from 1" x 2" to 9" x
12"; saving the images to CD, and entering the metadata in an Oracle
database.  The database will be accessible from a networked server.  The
images will be accessible from a CD jukebox connected to the networked
server.  The images will be used for internal research purposes.

> I am at the point of comparing costs per image from contractors.  I have
consulted various sources for cost estimates including Handbook for Digital
Projects:  A Management Tool for Preservation and Access from the Northeast
Document Conservation Center (NEDC), the Museum Educational Site Licensing
Project (MESL), and Introduction to Imaging by Howard Besser and Jennifer
Trant.  I have also attended the School for Scanning: Preservation and
Access in a Digital World present by the NEDC.  I wanted to hear from those
of you on the list who've also attempted projects of this scope.

> If you are or have been involved in a photograph digitization project,
could you please share your costs per image.  If you do not have this type
of information, do you know where I might find it?

> [...]
>
> --=====================_8119445==_.ALT
>
> 2003 VISUAL RESOURCES ASSOCIATION ANNUAL CONFERENCE: CALL FOR
PARTICIPATION

> The Visual Resources Association, the international organization of
image=20
> media professional, invites submissions of program proposals for its
21st=20
> annual conference in Houston, Texas, April 7-12, 2003.
>
> We encourage you to propose sessions, seminars, workshops or individual=20
> papers. The deadline is June 14th, 2002. Please visit the conference=20
> website at http://vraweb.org/2003conference to use the Program: Call
for=20
> Participation link to review the guidelines and to submit your proposal=20
> through the new online Proposal Form. Some of formats are new, so
please=20
> review the following guidelines carefully before filling out the
mandatory=
> =20
> proposal form.
>

> GUIDELINES FOR PROGRAM PROPOSALS
> Proposals must include:
>
> =B7abstract of the content justifying the significance of the session for=
>  the=20
> field of visual resources and image collection management;
>
> =B7title of proposed session, workshop, etc.;
>
> =B7proposed speakers and presenters with complete personal contact=
>  information;
>
> =B7audio-visual requests.
>

> PROGRAM FORMATS
> =B7Some of the following formats are new; please review carefully
before=20
> filling out the Program Proposal online form.
>
> =B7Thematically clustered, multi-formatted proposal packages may be=
>  submitted=20
> (e.g., the Common Ground Series of session, seminar, and workshop at
the=20
> 2002 conference), but each part must be submitted as a separate program=20
> proposal.
>
> =B7The VRA Executive Board reserves the right to seek revision of a
proposal=
> =20
> to best fit the conference program.
>

> 1.Session. 90-minute moderated session with 3 or 4 speakers at 20
minutes=20
> each.
>
> 2.Seminar. 90-minute session with any number of panelists consisting of=20
> brief presentations and followed by a facilitated, in-depth=20
> question-and-answer period.
>
> 3.Individual Papers. Individual papers not yet associated with a
session=20
> topic; may be assigned to a formal session or to an Open Session.
>
> 4.Special Interest Group. 60- or 90-minute informal facilitated group=20
> discussion on topics related to a specific community within VRA. Example
of=
> =20
> Special Interest Group discussions include Museum VR Professionals, Solo
VR=
> =20
> Professionals, Luna Insight Users Group, Problems in Cataloging, etc.
>
> 5.Workshop. Half or full-day workshop to develop skills and experience
in=20
> administrative or technical aspects of Visual Resources.=20
> Interactive/audience participation components are strongly encouraged.=20
> Workshop proposals may focus on Leadership Skills, Project Development,=20
> Grant Writing, Data Standards, Advanced Database Design, etc.
>

> SPEAKERS / PRESENTERS
> We encourage you to identify potential or confirmed speakers in your=20
> submitted proposal. Proposals approved without identified speakers will
be=
> =20
> posted later on VRA-L with a call for presenters.
>

> DEADLINES
> ALL PROPOSALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY JUNE 14, 2002.  Applicants will be=20
> notified in late July.
> Please submit proposals using the online Proposal Form. Proposals may
be=20
> directed to:
>
> Jeanne M. Keefe
> VRA Vice President for Conference Programs
> Visual Resources Librarian
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
> Architecture Library, Greene 306
> 110 Eighth St
> Troy, NY 12180-3590
> ph: 518-276-2727
> fax: 518-276-6753
> email: keefej@rpi.edu or  jkeefe@nycap.rr.com
>

> --=====================_8119445==_.ALT

ANNUAL
eudora=3D"autourl">http://vrawe=
> b.org/2003conference</a></b>
>  Participation </i>link to review the guidelines and to submit your
proposal=
>  through the new online <i>Proposal Form</i>. Some of formats are new, so=
>  please review the following guidelines carefully before filling out the=
>  mandatory proposal form.<br><br>
> <b>GUIDELINES FOR PROGRAM PROPOSALS<br>
must=
>  include:<br><br>
>  face=3D"Verdana" size=3D3 color=3D"#000033"><b>abstract</b> of the
content=
>  justifying the significance of the session for the field of visual=
>  resources and image collection management;</font><font face=3D"Verdana"=
>  size=3D3> <br><br>
>  face=3D"Verdana" size=3D3 color=3D"#000033"><b>title</b> of proposed=
>  session, workshop, etc.; <br><br>
>  face=3D"Verdana" size=3D3 color=3D"#000033">proposed <b>speakers</b> and=
>  presenters with complete personal contact information; <br><br>
>  face=3D"Verdana" size=3D3 color=3D"#000033"><b>audio-visual</b>=
> <b>PROGRAM FORMATS<br>
> </b></font><font face=3D"Symbol" size=3D2
color=3D"#000033">=B7</font><font=
>  face=3D"Verdana" size=3D3 color=3D"#000033">Some of the following
formats=
>  are new; please review carefully before filling out the Program Proposal=
>  face=3D"Verdana" size=3D3 color=3D"#000033">Thematically clustered,=
>  multi-formatted proposal packages may be submitted (e.g., the <i>Common=
>  Ground</i> Series of session, seminar, and workshop at the 2002=
>  conference), but each part must be submitted as a separate program=
>  face=3D"Verdana" size=3D3 color=3D"#000033">The VRA Executive Board=
>  reserves the right to seek revision of a proposal to best fit the=
color=3D"#000033"><b>1.Session</b>.=
>  90-minute moderated session with 3 or 4 speakers at 20 minutes=
color=3D"#000033"><b>2.Seminar</b>.=
>  90-minute session with any number of panelists consisting of brief=
>  presentations and followed by a facilitated, in-depth
question-and-answer=
color=3D"#000033"><b>3</b>.Individual=
>  <b>Papers</b>. Individual papers not yet associated with a session
topic;=
>  may be assigned to a formal session or to an Open Session.</font><font=
>  face=3D"Verdana" size=3D3> <br><br>
>  Interest <b>Group</b>. 60- or 90-minute informal facilitated group=
>  discussion on topics related to a specific community within VRA. Example
of=
>  Special Interest Group discussions include Museum VR Professionals, Solo
VR=
>  Professionals, Luna Insight Users Group, Problems in Cataloging,=
color=3D"#000033"><b>5.Workshop</b>.=
>  Half or full-day workshop to develop skills and experience in=
>  administrative or technical aspects of Visual Resources.=
>  Interactive/audience participation components are strongly encouraged.=
>  Workshop proposals may focus on Leadership Skills, Project Development,=
>  Grant Writing, Data Standards, Advanced Database Design,
etc.</font><font=

http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/tutorial/conversion/table3-1.htm

> Paul R. Bergeron
> City Clerk
> 229 Main Street
> Nashua, NH 03060
> Telephone: 603/589-3010
> Fax: 603/589-3029
> http://www.gonashua.com/

government so the circumstances are quite different from yours at the
hospital.  (We have interviewees sign a Memorandum of Understanding, stating
that the tapes and transcripts are official government records and that the
interviewee gives up all copyrights, incidents of ownership, etc.)  When we
have used outside transcribers, the contract has required that they send the
tapes and raw transcripts to us.  We review them first and only then do we
forward copies to the interviewee for review.

> I don't know what kind of contractual arrangement the hospital has with
the external interviewers.  But if you are paying for this product, is it
possible for you to obtain the recordings and transcripts directly from the
group that is conducting the interviews?  (I am not up on all the laws that
apply in the private sector but it does sound as if you are contracting out
the interviewing.  So you should have some rights to the original product.)
Then you, rather than they, could send the tapes and transcripts on the to
interviewee for review, enabling you to work out any disagreements over
editing, etc.  Of course, it helps to work out the goals and guidelines
before the interview - although some interviewees are comfortable going
fully "on the record," sometimes you have to trade candor against temporary
limitations on access.  (In other words, permit some restriction of the
final product for a limited period of time in order to get a more candid
interview with useful info!
> rmation.)  If you are paying for this product, you also should have input
into the type and content of questions asked, etc.

http://207.21.198.172/saagroups/bas/newsletter_1987.asp so you might want to
check that out.  For example, one of the articles said:
> "Having said that I edit transcripts when it is necessary to do so, I
should go on to say that it must be done very carefully. You donâ?Tt want to
lose the unique characteristics of the intervieweeâ?Ts speech and
personality. You can prune excess verbiage and rearrange phrases so that the
order is suitable to written English, but do retain repetition or unusual
syntax for emphasis, clarity and insight. If sentence fragments and
punctuation present problems, as they do in some transcriptions, you may
find an acceptable model in printed dialogue or good journal interviews.
Literary elegance is not a legitimate reason to edit business oral history
transcripts. Clarity is. Edit as much as necessary, but as little as
possible. The tape, after all, is the primary record. And that remains
unchanged."  (see
http://207.21.198.172/saagroups/bas/newsletter_1987.asp#ORALH1 )

"Jason T. Larson" <jason.larson@TCH.HARVARD.EDU> writes:

> [...]
> >the entire interview. The archives does not yet have a copy of the
> >audiotape, but we do have the transcript.
> >
> >My questions are thus: Who "owns" the interview before it is deposited
> >in the archives and made available, the interviewer or the interviewee?
> >Or does the Archives own it from the start, since we are paying for this
> >service? Is this audiotape even still valid? My gut feeling is that if
> >we had possession of the tape in its original form, the actual
> >transcript in its edited form becomes secondary (as we could easily see
> >a lot of Freudian slips and other psychological changes that could be
> >very revealing). Perhaps we should send a hospital representative with
> >the interviewer in the future?
> >
> >There are a number of issues here, obviously; any feedback, ideas, etc.,
> >that you all have would be most welcome.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Jason
> >
> >--
> >Jason T. Larson
> >Hospital Archivist
> >Children's Hospital
> >Main SB 0004.1
> >300 Longwood Avenue
> >Boston, MA 02115-5724
> > Â  Â  Â In body of message: Â SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
> > Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â *or*: Â UNSUB ARCHIVES
> >
> >Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at
> > Â  Â  http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
> >
> >Problems? Â Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:16:21 -0400
> From:    Joe Gertler <barnstormer@FWB.GULF.NET>
> Subject: Re: Current dpi standard for scanning photographs
>
>         Here is a factor you may want to consider when deciding on a dpi
> standard. Magazine art directors (that have published my photos and
> articles)now ask for all photos to be scanned at 300 dpi and 6 inches wide
> format. They may be in jpeg format. (This size can easily be emailed
> directly to the magazine-no postage or disks to send)
>         It did not appear to be high enough resolution to me but the
results
> of publishing some 50 photos, both black & white and color in this format,
> produced very clear and sharp photos in the magazines, much to my
surprise.
>         Significantly, I was able to scan over 750 8 x 10 black & white
> photos into a file that totaled under 100 Mb! At least I know they are
> publishable in this format. They all fit on one 100Mb ZIP disk. Of course
> now they go onto CDs.
>         In photos of aircraft, for example, I can open these images and
> clearly count the small rivets on the airplane skin and even read the
small
> military printing on the plane, on my computer screen.
>         If you use this small res format, they will be of use to current
and
> future writers and historians who plan to publish the work. And

href="http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ftpfiles.html";>http://memory.loc.gov/ammem
/ftpfiles.html</A>&nbsp;for LCs detailed specs for the American Memory
collections<BR><BR>Dan Clinton / USPTO / Washington, DC</P></DIV>
<RSCHMIDT@LIB.MUOHIO.EDU>

> [...]
> Oxford, Ohio 45056
> 513-529-6720
> rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu
>
> ____________________________
> Manager of Records/Archivist
>
> Develop, implement, and supervise a comprehensive
> records management program for major
> not-for-profit organization and affiliated
> programs; and responsible for the preservation of
> all materials having significant historical
> value.  Analyze all existing records and
> materials at main headquarters and off-site.  Make
> all necessary arrangements for continued storage
> or transfer to archives.  Train
> organizations personnel in records retention
> procedures and supervise a staff of 4 employees.
>
> MA and/or MLS, 5-10 years administrative
> experience with records surveys, archival
> arrangement and administration and records
> retention.  Knowledge of GAIN software a plus.
>
> Salary mid to upper $50's.  Excellent benefits
> package.  Please fax resumes to (212) 254-5578 or
> e-mail resumes to MEALLEN53@aol.com.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:13:32 -0500
> From:    Dean DeBolt <ddebolt@UWF.EDU>
> Subject: Re: monetary appraisal
>
> I, too, have been troubled by our auditor's insistence of
> maintaining a value on our archival collections as part of
> the "museum assets" of the University.   We came up with
> a piecemeal schedule many years ago....e.g. 1.00 per document,
> 25.00 per map, etc., so we just have to provide piece counts.
> This is not for insurance ... but perhaps the good part in this
> is that our collection has reached the $7 million mark on the
> University books.   And as we have attempted to acquire
> capital funds for new shelving and similar costly items, balancing
> thoses costs against the "university asset" sheet has been
> politically beneficial.     Instead of trying to convince administrators
> to take care of a bunch of old books, we can point to the 30-year-record
> of the auditor's "assets" to show importance/value.
>
> Dean
>
> Dean DeBolt
> University Librarian
> Special Collections and West Florida Archives
> John C. Pace Library
> University of West Florida
> 11000 University Parkway
> Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
> Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:35:35 EDT
> From:    Peter Kurilecz <PAKURILECZ@AOL.COM>
> Subject: Code of Practice
>
> --part1_3c.1d2e185d.29f757d7_boundary
>
> The following comes from the UK Archives-NRA listserv. I thought it would
be
> of interest to all
>
> <snip>
> The revised draft code of practice for records managers and archivists
under
> s 51(4) of the Data Protection Act 1998 as sent to Information
> Commissioner - is now available in MS Word (196kb) and PDF (103kb)
formats -
> with direct links from the Society's homepage http://www.archives.org.uk/
> <snip>
>
> Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
> pakurilecz@aol.com
> Richmond, Va
>
> --part1_3c.1d2e185d.29f757d7_boundary
>
> <HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="FIXED"
FACE="Courier New" LANG="0">The following comes from the UK Archives-NRA
listserv. I thought it would be of interest to all
> <BR>
> <BR>&lt;snip&gt;
> <BR>The revised draft code of practice for records managers and archivists
under
> <BR>s 51(4) of the Data Protection Act 1998 as sent to Information
> <BR>Commissioner - is now available in MS Word (196kb) and PDF (103kb)
formats -
http://www.archives.org.uk/