Re: Jewelry Preservation/Storage

I have purchased a yard or so of the jeweler's cloth, the very soft, supple,
usually blue or brown, fabric that deters tarnishing of silverware. It is
specially treated with something...not sure what.  When I was a young lass,
I remember jewelry stores would wrap elaborate silver serving pieces and the
like it this fabric to protect the silver objects from the sulfites which I
think are the culprits here in tarnishing. There used to be, or one could
certainly easily sew up something, these holders, which would have pockets
into which one could slip the pieces of jewelry. Or individual small
envelopes of this fabric could be made for specific, odd-shaped pieces or
something. Or could you not make a blanket of this fabric, onto which
jewelry pins (if those are part of this collection) could simply be attachd?
I think it is important to really keep out the atmospheric sulfites and
wrapping an item in this fabric might go a long way to protect the jewelry.
I think I would put more stock in that than a 'box' which may not perform to
your expectations. I wonder what that box is lined in....?  Maybe it has the
magic pooh-pooh dust that seems to characterize a lot of problem-solving
devices these days. I thought I paid a lot less for a yard of the jeweler's
fabric than $25.  My personal opinion is that I would be very impressed with
a curator who used this jeweler's fabric....   :)

Sharon Lee "Keeping the World Safe for Democracy" Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library
100 Kindel Drive, Ste C212
Arnold AFB, TN  37389-3212