EAD and MARC AMC

Hello everyone,

I understand the advantages of EAD over MARC AMC for automating finding
aids.  However, I am wondering about the practical aspects of
implementation.  Some of us use proprietary software databases conducive to
the implementation of MARC AMC (such as PastPerfect that has an add-on
component that converts to MARC).  Others have relationships with libraries
that can help us place our "cataloging" records into national library
databases and NUCMC.   As a consultant, I very much want to encourage those
charged with managing archives to use EAD so that they can place complete
finding aids online for researchers to have easy access to as much
information as possible.  I just don't know if this is the best way to go
at this time.  Are there organizations out there using both standards?  Are
there organizations that have chosen to go with EAD despite the fact that
MARC AMC is easier for them for one reason or another? Are there others who
are using MARC and just waiting to see how the rest of the world will
implement EAD and decide to jump on the bandwagon at the last possible
second?

I'm looking forward to a lively discussion. (I hope so at least!)

Thanks,

Melissa

Melissa Mannon, MSLS
Archivist
Archives and Information Consulting Services
603-661-7611
http://www.mannon.org/archives

Encouraging collaboration between Archives, Historical Societies, Museums,
Libraries, and Record Centers