Re: monetary appraisal

On the contrary, museum and archival collections should be identified as
assets.  Granted, the primary reason such materials are collected and
maintained generally has more to do with evidential, informational,
artifactual, intrinsic, and other such "adjectival" values, but the fact
remains that the materials also have financial value for the institution
which holds them.  They are as much an asset, needing insurance and so
forth, as the buildings in which they are housed.  And, as we all well
know (and often much to our dismay and frustration) sometimes that is the
only value - monetary - that administrators care about.

Jim Gerencser, '93
College Archivist and
  Special Collections Librarian
Waidner-Spahr Library