BEST METHOD(S) FOR PRESERVING HISTORICAL PHOTOS

I am involved in the formation of an historical society in my small California town. We only started in March 2002 but already it’s becoming clear that we may get more photos in the next few months than we’re prepared to deal with. Also, some families are willing for us to copy their photos but don’t want to give up the originals. We want to preserve these photos using whatever method is currently “state of the art.”

Here’s my QUESTION:

1)       When preserving historical photos should we digitize them at the highest resolution possible?; or

2)       Should we photograph the photographs and get a negative (2 ¼ x 2 ¼?)?

We want to start doing this the right way so any comments on current practices will be helpful.

Thanks!

Larry

P.S. We’ll be contacting the California Historical Society and others but I always like to get the opinions of practitioners as well.

Larry Hlavsa, Director

St. Helena Public Library / Napa Valley Wine Library

1492 Library Lane

St. Helena, CA 94574

PH: 707-967-2805

FX: 707-963-5264