Archival careers

Gunnar, Molly and friends --

There is another reason why an archives position might require an MLS --
besides the notion that librarians are insecure people who are comfortable
only with "one of their own"!

In many institutions, the archives position is part- time, and the person
has other responsibilities in the library that do require library school
training.  For instance, I work 20 hrs/wk in the Archives, and another 9
hrs/wk providing theological reference assistance.  For that, I need not
just the MLS but a theology degree as well.  This blend of training &
experience makes me a great deal more valuable to my employer.

A good match between individual & institution involves a lot of variables,
some of them unpredictable.