Re: Request specific header for Freebies

At 09:53 AM 05/03/2002 -0400, Elizabeth W. Knowlton wrote:
I know we are all busy and it is hard to be creative in a hurry, but this
is a plea for more specific headers for items your archives is offering--
always posted as "Free to Good Home."
  Many of us get the list once a day as a table of contents and request
only messages of interest to us.  "Free to Good Home" would be more
usefully described as "Indiana Civil War letters Free to Good Home" [no
interest to me) or "State Thanksgiving Proclamations, 1888," (possibly of
interest, so I would read it) or "Rhoda Kaufman diary" (definitely of
interest as we have her records).  Recently we missed out on getting a
state record we do not have because someone else snatched it up before I
heard about it.

If I may delurk for a moment and make a suggestion --

-- on other lists I'm on we have header abbreviations that help delineate
parts of the message. For example, on one list we have DRIB (Don't
Read if Busy.) May I suggest for archives that we have FTGH (Free to
Good Home)? So as Elizabeth suggested, You could have:

FTGH: Rhoda Kaufman Diary

This would have two benefits. It would help folks like Elizabeth easily
identify
items of possible interests, and it would allow non-archivists like me to
filter out
Free to Good Home messages.

Just a thought. Back to lurk mode. I'm enjoying this list very much!

Tara
ResearchBuzz.com