Re: ms cataloging

At 07:46 AM 5/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
But if a collection has been cited one way and then it's cataloged another,
that makes it difficult for researchers to locate.  In an RLIN project in
the past, this issue was handled by retaining, in the above example, Andrew
Jackson Letter as the preferred citation in the 524, which still is
confusing for patrons, I think.  How have other repositories handled this
issue?

MARC allows for multiple titles, so we use a strategy that indicates the
former citation as an added title.  I strongly believe in standards; one
doesn't have to sacrifice the current cataloging standard merely to
preserve access via a former form of citation.  We have an old book
shelflist, so we do this sort of thing: 246:1 :$i Title from shelflist: $a
[Title]

In your case, if just a title will do:
246:1 :$i Formerly cited as:  $a Andrew Jackson letter, [date]
Or, if you need author/title:
500: : Formerly cited as: Jackson, Andrew.  Letter, [date].
700:: Jackson, Andrew. $t Letter, $f [date].

Kate

Kate Bowers
Processing Archivist
Harvard University Archives