Re: Where can consultants help the most?

On Thu, 9 May 2002 09:56:03 -0500, Kathy Gaynor
<kgaynor@LIBRARY2.WEBSTER.EDU> wrote:

>We have the opportunity to apply for a grant through the state of Missouri
>to bring an expert in for up to 5 days to consult with us concerning the
>Archives.
>For what kinds of projects would a consultant be most helpful?  I would
>appreciate any experiences or advice that you would want to share.  Thank
>you very much.

Ok here is a short list. Remember too that you will want the consultant to
produce a report for you.
Strategic Planning - does your archives have a strategic aka 5 year plan in
place?
Operations - have them take a look at your overall operations and point out
areas for improvement

Collection Development - Do you have a formal development plan in place?
Have you targeted specific donors or items for acquisition? If so how will
you go about acquiring them which leads to the next topic

Fundraising - a consultant can help you develop a fundraising plan

Technology improvements

Security Issues

Disaster Planning/Recovery

Marketing/Outreach

Staffing

Publications

Remember a consultant is a hired gun. They are there to help you achieve
your goals and to do something for which you don't have the time. Be sure
you have clearly defined what you want the consultant to do and what you
want them to produce for you. Otherwise you have wasted your time, their
time and the grant money. The consultant is just the first step in what ever
you are wanting to do. They are means to an end.

Peterk
pakurilecz@aol.com