From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On
Behalf Of Susan Hamburger
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 10:24 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: 1814 Red Leather stains

Back in the early days of conservation, we were taught to spray clear
Krylon on leather bindings suffering from red rot.  Like the Cellugel
product, it is a permanent solution and not archivally sound.  The easiest,
although not necessarily cheapest depending on the quantity of volumes to
treat, is to make a wraparound Mylar cover (like a dust jacket) for each
volume with red rot.  This will protect handlers and prevent migration of
the effluent to surrounding volumes, shelves, clothes, hands, paper,
etc.  You can purchase a 40-inch x 25-ft. roll of  2 mil Mylar for $53.30
from University Products and cut it to fit.  The Mylar also comes in
heavier weight (3 mil, 4 mil, and 5 mil) and light gauge 1.5 mil in 50-ft.,
100-ft., 200-ft., and 1070-ft. rolls.

Sue

Susan Hamburger, Ph.D.
Manuscripts Cataloging Librarian