Re: 1814 Red Leather stains

I agree with Catherine, especially if you're considering removing the
binding anyway.  If it's in otherwise reasonable condition, I'd just as soon
use the Cellugel to stabilize the red rot and retain some of the artifactual
value of the volumes as well.  I do try to consider the fact that many
archival materials have artifactual properties and I retain these properties
when possible as part of the historic context.  In several cases where the
ledger binding was beginning to damage the text block, I removed it but
stored it separately since it was stamped with an organizational logo and
it's the only example of the logo I have.  And we do indeed walk that thin
line between preservation and access every day.

Best,

Sally Childs-Helton
Butler University