Re: file naming conventions

Susan-

In our digital project we digitized materials from the following photo
collections at the AHC:

        Collection name                 Abbreviation
        Barbers                         BA
        Shrader                         SH
        Persistence of the Spirit       PS
        Ernie Dean                              ED
        General photo file              G

Our file naming structure for the digital images corresponded to the Photo
call numbers.  The format of the file name was as follows (all lower case)
as conforms to ISO 9660 compliant:

1. Archive - uncompressed TIFF file, 5K in the long dimension (for the Deane
negatives) and 4K in the long dimension (for the Barbers). Use lower case:
aannnnnu.tif (two alpha characters for collection, five characters for
sequential number, and u to indicate file format.)
2. Display - aannnnns.jpg: Scale to 4K.  The compression quality factor will
be selected to produce an average ratio close to 12:1.
3. Access - aannnnnr.jpg: 640 pixels in long direction, no sharpening, and
compressed as close to 12:1.  Correct for moiré patterns as needed.
4. Thumbnail - aannnnnt.jpg: 160 pixels in long direction, no sharpening,
and compressed as close to 12:1 as possible. Correct for moiré patterns as
needed.

Although our photo call numbers often include periods within series (i.e.,
G4543.01, G4543.02), we replaced these with "_" for the project.

The fact that we had the file names correspond to the photo call numbers was
a help in two factors:

1. the identification and addition of the digital file names to the 856
field in the MARC record and
2. the online selection, payment and delivery of high resolution jpgs in our
online sales feature.

Hope this helps:-)

Lynn
Lynn Ewbank, CA