Re: Raisers Edge - Your comment welcomed

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Roger Smith wrote:

> Our university foundation is considering the purchase of donor management
> software systems and Raisers Edge has been touted as a good product.
>
> Does you museum or institution use this software?  If it does, could you or
> a colleague give me your comments on its usability, what is the scale of
> your operational requirement?

My employer, the Wildlife Conservation Society, has used Raiser's Edge version
6.x, SQL version, for several years to manage records of approximately 300,000
present and former members and 1.2 million individual donation transactions.
There are typically a maximum of ten concurrent data entry personnel with twenty
five concurrent users overall. Current version is 6.4.2.

The WCS Development, Membership and IT departments recently completed a lengthy
selection process for a successor to the current system, mediated by an outside
consultant on fund raising software.  User departments scored each system on
numerous criteria. Raisers Edge version 7 won out over three competing high end
systems.

My understanding is that Raiser's Edge is quite customizable to meet
institutional requirements.  Version 7 eliminates a file size limitation of 2
gigabytes in version 6 SQL. The file size limit was/is not present in Oracle
based versions of the Raisers Edge product.

Because I don't work in fundraising or membership, I have never used the
Raiser's Edge product and cannot comment on the software based on direct
personal knowledge.

Steve Johnson
sjohnson@westnet.com
http://www.westnet.com/~sjohnson