Re: Recommendations for Photograph Databases (fwd)

Hi!

Just an idea, but what about using a database server to store your images.  One
possibility, if you have a campus contract with Microsoft, you can get a good
deal on SQL Server 2000.  This database will hold up to multiple-terrabytes of
information.  (I'm running one for around $800 for the SQL Server license, plus
OS license.)  Another option, one that I would prefer, is an open-source
database, such as Postgresql or mysql.  These are free options, and are
extremely stable.  (The OS is free too.)  These databases run on Linux, Unix
and have ports to Win32 operating systems.

As for a front-end, you can use PHP, a free dynamic content language,
ColdFusion, a proprietary language, or any other dynamic web-content language
that will work with your web server.

Thanks,
--
Shannon Eric Peevey