Re: What is a good archivist's resume???

  I agree with Lesley.  If you're applying for academic positions,
especially, I think teaching experience can be important.  I'm at a school
of 4,250 students so I wear a lot of hats.  I'm also the library liason for
several departments, and as such I also buy library materials, create
bibliographies and study guides for general topics and specific classes, and
do a lot of bibliographic instruction for specific classes.

Over the course of the semester I also have a number of classes come to
Special Collections for presentations on the history of print, the archival
process, or to learn about major collections.  For example, we hold the
collection of a pioneer in the kindergarten movement, and a large collection
of botanicals and herbals.  Over the course of a year I can offer classes or
workshops for history, anthropology, journalism, biology, political science,
and education majors, as well as just doing straight bibliographic
instruction for history and anthropology.  Without a teaching degree and a
fair amount of experience, I would not be able to do this part of my job
well or without lots of panic.  The faculty also appreciates the fact that
I've taught at the university level and continue to teach.  This type of
teaching is also a major outreach program for the library.

There are also elements of teaching in working with patrons and making
presentations to groups, and I think it's never a bad idea to let people
know you have writing and editing experience.  That's so basic to the
job--if you're not writing your own collection guides, you are probably
going to be editing and checking guides your staff writes.  Every employer
wants employees who present themselves well in person and on paper.

But again, tailor your resume or CV (and I agree with using a CV to apply
for academic jobs) to the job and highlight the ways you "fit" the job in
your letter.  Ask people in the business to look over your resume or CV and
hang in there!

Sally Childs-Helton, Ph.D.
Special Collections, Rare Books, and University Archives
Butler University