Follow-up to RE: Tech Question - Marantz PMD 430

Title: RE: Tech Question - Marantz PMD 430
'lo all,

I took a trip to Radio Shack looking for something else, and while there I asked the salesman about taping from the phone.  The clever folks at RS have developed at least two products whereby you can hook up a tape recorder to the phone line.  It will probably require a few adapters to make the mini plugs of the item hook up to the 1/4" jacks of the Marantz, but it is fairly straightforward to hook up.

I suspect the sound quality will not be ideal, but I don't expect to be doing many of my interviews on the phone, so I think I'm going to sacrifice the phone recording quality for better overall sound with the stereo PMD 430.

On a related note, I had asked a few weeks back about choosing cassette tape over digital, and I think I'm going to stick with ole reliable audio cassette.  I don't really have the time or resources to copy digital (definitely NOT preservation quality at this point) to analog, nor do I have the need to use these interviews for other purposes.

I grant you it may be shortsighted at this point, but with $700-$800 of my limited budget at stake, I think I'd rather play it safe for now, and maybe I'll splurge on digital later as the program develops.

My thanks to all for their assistance,

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu