Return of thesis materials

Have any of you, especially College and University archivists, had any
experience with alumni asking for return of thesis or dissertation
materials?  I'm not referring to providing them with copies of the the
texts they wrote, and copyright ownership is not the issue here.  Rather,
we have been asked for return of original unique materials which were
created by the individual as part of his master's degree program
requirment.  The item we have is signed by the faculty advisor and clearly
identified as the project the student submitted for the degree requirement.