Re: Return of thesis materials

As a person who just finished writing a thesis, I
probably have a unique opinion on this topic.

I was required to submit three copies of my thesis to
the university as the final requirement for the thesis
option of my graduation requirements.  The copyright
still belongs to only me, but the ownership belongs to
the university.

While researching my thesis, I gathered about 1 cubic
foot of materials, all photocopies, of primary and
secondary source documents.  If I obtained a photocopy
of another thesis, I got permission from the thesis
copyright holder to obtain, photocopy, keep, and
publish excerpts or whole in my thesis and other
publications.  Few students will ever think of doing
this. I did so because of my archival training.

My thesis, like many, was an in-depth study of a topic
never before studied.  The research material collected
by me is pertinent to the history of a state, at least
four metropolitan cities, and two dozen counties, not
to mention the many descendants of the men involved in
the thesis topic activity.

My research files really belong in a dozen places for
easy access for other researchers. I wish I had a good
job where I could photocopy everything I have and make
the deposits in those places.

If I deposit my files, naturally I want the ability to
access them whenever I want.  Admitedly, and maybe I
am one of the few, but if my materials are not treated
"properly" and "fairly" and "in a timely manner," then
I would ask for them back and expect to get them.

Perhaps a solution to this problem (using hindsight)
is to have a clause in your institution's deed of gift
form that allows or does not allow for the "taking
back" of materials by the donor.

A thesis is different than thesis research or
supplementary files.  Keeping this point in mind is
important for this discussion, I think.

Russell D. James
Milton, Florida