Re: Historic wallpaper conservation question

Hi Valerie,

I went through our listing of technical leaflets and we don't have anything
specific to wallpaper, but will consider this for the future.  It's a bit
scary to hear that visitors have that much access to the artifacts (both the
wallpaper and other items).  Roping off the area where the wallpaper is
would be a quick solution.  Another idea would be to enclose that section of
the wall in some sort of Plexiglas case around the wallpaper, or a complete
wall of Plexiglas in front of the wall.  You may also want to have someone
come in to look at the paper for conservation purposes if it is exposed as
much as it is.

The National Trust may have a book or brochure, I'm not completely familiar
with what they all have.  AIC may have some suggestions on conservation, as
may also your SHPO office.

Best of luck.

Harry

Harry Klinkhamer