Re: Archiving websites

Mary,

No problem!  I was wondering if you are trying to save a backup of the websites
for searchable purposes?  The operating system is like windows, or linux/unix.
Your backup means depend on what operating system the web server is on.  If it
is an apache web server on a linux platform, you can use a utility called "tar"
to basically combine all of the files in the directory into one.  This file is
called a tar file, and is just like a zip file on windows machines.  I do know
that tar files are readable, so you can search the contents.  If you are trying
to show those contents on the web, though, you can move the tar file to your
web server and untar it in the web root.  (That is the root directory of the
webserver, ie www.yahoo.com.  If it is www.yahoo.com/schedule.htm, schedule.htm
is in the root of the web, or the webroot.)  These are free, and I would like
to mention that there are many open-source alternatives that are free for you
to use.  (As a university employee, this is very important to me.)  Proprietary
software, like Microsoft products, become very expensive to buy and maintain.
I would like to work on some open-source alternatives for the proprietary
library resource management tools that you all are paying too much for.  If
anyone else would like to work with me on this, that would be awesome! :)

If you have any other questions about the backing up of websites, just let me
know, and I would be happy to help.

Thanks,
--
Shannon Eric Peevey